Standing desks, also known as sit-to-stand desks or height adjustable desks, are incredibly popular in our homes and workplaces. This is certainly, because science and their users can attest to their benefits. Unfortunately, the truth is that some height adjustable desks can be less than attractive in your office or work environment.
Many are simple frames (wood, metal) with a large desktop and few aesthetic features - such as the Altitude Pro. In this article, we will share with you some tips to make your standing desk look better. From colours, shelves and storage solutions, desk accessories, and other tips to give your entire desk a much-needed upgrade!
However, before diving into the core of this article, we will like to share with you the best benefits of a sit stand desk. Indeed, when you use a standing properly, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Increased energy levels: Standing rather than sitting is known to boost energy levels and improve focus.
- Improved posture and comfort: Standing at a desk encourages better posture and helps to reduce tension in the neck and shoulders, which can lead to improved comfort throughout the day.
- Improved blood circulation and productivity: When you stand for long period, you increase blood flow throughout the body. This leads to increased alertness and productivity.
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases: Regularly standing instead of sitting can help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, or cancer.
- Increased calorie burn: Standing at a desk will naturally burn more calories than sitting, leading to weight loss over time if combined with a healthy lifestyle.
- Reduces stress levels: Studies have shown that using a standing desk helps improve mood and overall well-being by reducing stress levels.
Now that you are familiar with the advantages of a standing desk for your health, here are 7 tips that will make your standing desk look better.
1. Pick the right colour palette and materials
If you work in an office, the choice of furniture and equipment may not be up to you. But, if you work from home, then you can easily change the look of your work environment by making a few simple changes.
In terms of stand-up desk colours, it is important to choose a piece of office furniture where the colours match the interior paint. On this point, there are several recommendations to follow. You can create harmony by playing with complementary colours. For example, if the walls of your living room are painted grey, you can choose a white desk with black metal legs. Another option would be to opt for a blue worktop with a natural wood base. On the other hand, if you want to create contrast to obtain a sober and elegant office decoration, the ideal will be to associate opposite colors. So, for walls painted in white, you can opt for a black wooden desk. Another alternative is to customize the old desk with the help of a design sticker paper imitating marble.
This point deserves special attention. Indeed, whether you sit in your office to work on a file, fill out administrative papers or indulge in the joys of graphic design, good lighting is essential to improve the design and ergonomics. If you have a well-exposed window in the room and you work during the day, a simple accent lamp will suffice. However, if you are one of those who enjoy working at night, you will need to add the appropriate task lighting to avoid eyestrain. You can also use a ceiling light to give your office an elegant look and ensure an even distribution of light. Go for LED light because they are comfortable to the eyes and do not produce heat.
3. Add the right accessories
It is essential to have a well-arranged standing desk, but more importantly, well optimized office to ensure that you feel comfortable and are more productive. For that, you should opt for clever height adjustable desk accessories. Here is our selection of the best standing desk accessories that will spark their look:
- Wire Organizer: Whether you choose an electric standing desk or manual sit-stand desk, you will always need a wire organizer for your electronic devices.
- Under-desk drawer: Unlike some more traditional desks, most sit-stand desks do not have a built-in desk drawer, at least for the less expensive ones.
- Ergonomic armrest: This accessory effectively supports your arms in order to reduce muscle tension in the neck and shoulders. Thanks to a large and comfortable surface, you can work for several hours in a row without risk of pain or discomfort.
- CPU support: It optimizes your workspace. Compatible with the vast majority standing desk models and brands, this ergonomic accessory is ideal for a standing desk. With it, your CPU is perfectly positioned at the height you want.
- Ergonomic laptop support: the curvature of your back will be more or less important depending on the accessibility of the keyboard on your laptop or pc. To alleviate this inconvenience, the use of an ergonomic support specially designed for laptops allows the screen to be raised. By finding the right position for your height, you will be able to work more easily while keeping your back straight. This reduces the weight on your neck, which greatly reduces the risk of muscle fatigue and improve the overall aesthetics of your desk.
- Foot Rest: A footrest provides extra support for feet while working at an electric desk for example, it reduces the tension in your legs and hips that may come from sustained standing over long periods of time.
- Ergonomic Mouse: An ergonomic mouse can be adjusted into different positions, which encourages good posture since you won't have to overextend yourself with awkward gripping motions when typing or clicking.
- Charging Station: Having a charging station integrated into the standing desk is an excellent way to store your electronics devices such as phones, tablets, and laptops while also keeping them charged up during the day.
4. Free your office from old stuff
Organizing your desk can also improve the look of it. So remember to get rid of all the supplies that no longer serve a purpose and all the sheets of paper piled up on your desk without use. In addition, all files should be organized in a well-defined order so that they can be easily found.
5. Choosing the appropriate size of desk
Here again, the ideal size will depend on your profession, your use and also the material to be placed on it. If there is no shortage of space, it is better to have a larger desk to work in good conditions than one that is too small and uncomfortable. As a guide, most experts recommend a 100cm x 60cm desk. This size allows you to put your screen, documents, a keyboard and a small lamp on it.
6. Add a standing desk mat and plants
In addition to providing comfort, standing desk mats can also improve the comfort of your workspace. Look for one in an interesting pattern or texture that complements the rest of your décor. You can place tall plants next to your standing desk for privacy and air purification if you are in an easier-to-access spot without too many wires or cables nearby.
7. Place the monitor on an adjustable mount/monitor arm
In addition to creating more space, a monitor arm will allow adjusting the height depending on whether you are sitting or standing during different tasks throughout the day. This will also prevent long-term health issues like neck and back strain from poor posture when using a laptop at arm's length.
As you can see, with a few simple tips and tricks, you can make your standing desk look great without sacrificing any of its benefits. By combining creative accessories, an organized workspace, and a few functional items to give it a sense of style, you can easily transform your standing desk into an attractive work surface that fits in with the rest of your home or office décor. With a little bit of creativity and some effort, your workspace can reflect your style while also enhancing your productivity.